We build efficient data science and AI solutions for business
Through our community of more than 30 000 talented data scientists, Zindi gives companies, startups, NGOs and governments access to world-class machine learning and AI solutions. Zindi is also the place for organisations to find the data science and engineering talent that’s just right for their needs.
Leverage the amazing power of Africa’s largest data science community to crowd-solve your data science and AI challenges, find the right talent, and build your brand while doing good.
Find the best solution to your challenge
- On demand. Get solutions when you need them
- Full rights to the code. No ongoing license fees or maintenance costs
- Actively support the African data science community who use the platform to hone their skills, share ideas and learn
How it works
- IDENTIFY A CHALLENGE
- We help your organisation identify and define a pressing or interesting challenge. Prizes are set with your organisation, with complexity of the challenge as a determining factor.
- WE HELP YOU COLLATE THE RELEVANT DATASETS
- Zindi data scientists work with your organisation to a) determine which datasets are needed to solve the challenge and b) assist in building the datasets in the appropriate format. Data is fully anonymised and masked where needed. Challenge solutions are built on static data - models can be implemented in real time post-competition if required.
- THE CHALLENGE IS POSTED ONLINE
- A description of the challenge and prize money up for grabs, as well as the challenge datasets, are posted on www.zindi.africa. The competition is promoted to the Zindi community, advertised on social media platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram, and spread throughout our partner network.
- DATA SCIENTISTS ACROSS THE CONTINENT COMPETE TO SOLVE YOUR CHALLENGE
- Data scientists download training and test datasets and build solutions. Typically, solutions comprise data processing, feature building and one or more machine learning techniques.
- SOLUTIONS ARE RANKED AND CASH PRIZES ARE AWARDED FOR THE WINNING SOLUTION
- Competitors can submit several solutions during the competition. Their submissions, based on the test set they downloaded, are ranked on a leaderboard. At the close of the competition, submissions are scored against a private dataset based on the accuracy they achieve. The final rankings are always 100% objective and fair, and the winning solutions are vetted by our in-house data science team.
- LAUNCHING YOUR CODE INTO THE FUTURE
- Zindi data scientists work with your organisation to review the winning solutions and co-design a strategy for implementing and integrating the solution into your business. This could also include defining job specifications based on your requirements, or capacity building for your team.
Find the ideal candidate for your team
We first consult with you to understand your needs. This includes an assessment of the required skills and experience and the environment in which the data scientist will be expected to work. We’ll even help you craft a meaningful job spec if you don’t have one.
After posting your job on the Zindi platform, we invite qualified members of our community to apply. We then vet the applications for you from a technical perspective - as only experienced data scientists can - and send you a qualified shortlist to take further in your interview process.
Host a hackathon
- Hone your team’s skills
- Foster collaboration within your organisation
- Assess your organisation’s performance on real-world challenges
- Build a hackathon for your team to learn a new data science technique
Note: these can be entirely closed, private events, visible and accessible only to your internal team or community
Sponsor a competition to help others
We often partner with organisations and communities that have a pressing need or a great challenge to solve, but lack the funds to sponsor a problem-solving competition.
As an alternative to solving a challenge from within your own organisation, you might instead want to sponsor a solution for someone else - a cause that your organisation cares about, or a startup whose vision aligns with your own.
For organisations looking for funding to cover the costs of a Zindi competition, we can match you with one of our incredible sponsor organisations, or you could apply for one of two Zindi-sponsored competitions available annually.