Pro Tip #5 - Submission Selection
Connect · 18 Jan 2023, 13:31 · 0

So you’ve been competing for a while and the competition’s about to close, one thing you don’t wanna forget is to pick out your top performing submissions!

In this article we’ll be looking at why it’s important to keep track of your submissions and why Zindi has you pick out your top submissions as well as just what that means for your engagement in the competition.

So why do I need to select only two of my submissions?

Well, one important aspect of reliable models is that they are not only reproducible but also interpretable. It is therefore important that the performance of your model, and in turn your ranking, be a result of experimentation and testing. This means each submission made is ideally a eureka moment following testing of a hypothesis that would improve the performance of your model.

Towards the end of a competition then, you’d have tried out enough, if not all, of your theories and you would know which of your submissions represent your most successful attempts. As such, there should be one submission that represents your best performing model and that you are most confident would give you the best ranking on the leaderboard.

However, it’s never a bad idea to have a backup plan and as such, it’s important to have a fallback submission that represents your second best iteration. This, then, is the idea behind the two submissions you would have to select prior to the close of a competition.

Oh wow! So is there a way I can keep track of my submissions on Zindi?

A sure-fire way to make sure you keep track of your model iterations when making submissions on the platform is by documenting your progress. Each file submitted on Zindi is saved using the original file name and assigned a submission date as well as ID. This means you could create a submission database that keeps track of the submissions you make as well as the changes you made in a specific iteration.

Moreover, Zindi allows you to add comments to each submission you make, allowing you to add remarks on specific changes you made in an iteration as well as any important details on what the submission represents. Thus, along with ensuring you have appropriate labels for your submission files and keeping record of your work, you could add notes right on the platform to remind you of significant changes in a specific submission.

Discussion 0 answers