Hulamin is an aluminium semi-fabricator business located in South Africa supplying customers across Africa and the world with an extensive range of quality products. Supported by a sales office in South Africa and a network of international agents, we sell to leading manufacturers and distributors across many industries around the world. The company supplies a significant proportion of the world's ultra-high-end aluminium products. It is known for being a key supplier of worked aluminium components for Tesla electric vehicles and aeronautical Wi-Fi components.
Hulamin is committed to the growth of the regional Southern African aluminium industry through our rolled and extruded products business units. We aim to make a meaningful contribution to sustainable development in Southern Africa. They are committed to responsible business leadership and good governance, and to making a positive impact on the economy, environment and communities in which they operate.
Reporting to the Senior Management team, this role focuses on leading Data Specialist strategies by developing solutions to challenging business problems and driving a data-driven culture within a fast-paced manufacturing organisation. The ideal candidate should be able to demonstrate the ability to lead strategic projects, translate data into problem-solving solutions, and drive profitability and mitigate risks.
We are looking for someone for a Strategist, someone who takes ownership of model developments and the ability to translate business requirements in a fast-moving industrial setting and can communicate effectively across cross-functional teams and multiple stakeholder groups. Because of the nature of the business, we are looking for someone who can thrive in dynamic and fast-paced organisations. No day is ever the same and devolvement of the projects requires someone who can multi-task in a hybrid environment.
- Responsible for the organisation's data science strategy
- Build algorithms and design experiments to merge, manage, interrogate, and extract data to supply tailored reports to colleagues, customers or the wider organisation (Data Mining, and statistical analysis)
- Use machine learning tools and statistical techniques to produce solutions to problems
- Test data mining models to select the most appropriate ones for use on a project
- Maintain clear and coherent communication, both verbal and written, to understand data needs and report results
- Create clear reports that tell compelling stories about how customers or clients work with the business
- Assess the effectiveness of data sources and data-gathering techniques and improve data collection methods
- Horizon scan to stay up to date with the latest technology, techniques and methods
- Conduct research from which you'll develop prototypes and proof of concepts
- Look for opportunities to use insights/datasets/code/models across other functions in the organisation
- Establish new systems and processes and look for opportunities to improve the flow of data
- Evaluate new and emerging technologies
- Accurately maintains prospects and relevant client developments, such as organizational changes and client interactions,
- Works closely with business leaders to influence decision making through data-driven analyses
- Devises innovative information products and presents analyses in a compelling way
- Undertakes data analyses to understand challenges and scope of work
- Maintain key client relationships working closely with cross-functional departments
- Manage Project Lifecycle
- University Degree in Statistics, Maths, Actuarial Science, Engineering or Computer Science
- Master’s degree advantageous
- 5 years’ experience analysing qualitative and quantitative data
- 3 years’ experience building predictive models and driving strategy
- 3 years’ experience using simulation tools
- 3 years’ experience in analytical software i.e R, Python, Minitab, SPSS, Watson Analytics)
- Knowledge of relational databases (SQL, MS Access or other)
- Ability to work with structured and unstructured data
- Experience in implementation of theoretical models
- Ability to work from first principles