Player First Ltd. (PFL) is a socially motivated technology business and subsidiary of Shujaaz Inc.’s social venture network based in Nairobi, Kenya. Together, we have built the region’s largest youth brand, Shujaaz, reaching 5.6m young Kenyans with behaviour-change-focused media aimed at removing barriers facing young micro entrepreneurs within Africa’s informal sector. Our combined decade of experience on youth focused insights has driven the development of our innovative and ambitious new offer, aiming to harness technology opportunities and the power of big-data to provide skills, networks, products, and services that unlock value and drive growth for Africa’s informal sector micro-entrepreneurs.
In July 2020, we launched a prototype of our flagship digital platform. In 2021, we will build on feedback from active users on the platform, launch key and exciting new products and features, drive continued back-end development and continue rolling out solutions to a wider selection of our audience.
Additionally, we are working on launching key products within the platform including digital learning courses, mentorship opportunities and a lending product in partnership with financial sector partners to match users with services. Our funding runway is supported by large social impact investors focused on livelihoods and informal micro entrepreneurship programs, large grant making institutions who partnered on our initial pilot and continue to work with us as well as strategic venture capital financiers offering technical expertise.
About the Role
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Data Engineer will work hands on to design and create data architectures for the solutions we are building. Key responsibilities:
- Design & build data architectures including the design & set-up of scalable (big) data lakes (full cloud or hybrid cloud), scheduled transformations & data governance.
- Design, develop, and maintain data pipelines and back-end services for real-time decisioning, reporting, optimization, data collection, and related functions.
- Workhand-in-hand with the data scientist and software developers in deploying software solutions as scalable API services in a perfect fit with the data architecture.
- Work with the project teams in deploying data applications including, if needed, close-to real-time architectures.
- Architect, develop and deploy (both hybrid cloud & full cloud) data architectures in Microsoft Azure.
- Act as data engineer expert on the latest trends in the data analytics landscape and share best practices with the internal team.
- Leverage Open-Source technology in building scalable and best-practice set-ups.
- Work with external vendors and partner technologies including (but not limited to) Azure.
- Experiment with and recommend new technologies that simplify or improve the tech stack.
- Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with a small, motivated team of engineers and product managers. Create and main SLAs on data reporting through PBI reports and dashboards.
Qualifications and skills
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field
- Seeking candidates with 5+ years of experience in:
- Architecting, building, and maintaining end-to-end, high-throughput data systems and their supporting services
- Designing data systems that are secure, testable, and modular, particularly in Python, as well as their support infrastructure (shell scripts, job schedulers, message queues, etc.)
- Designing efficient data structures and database schemas o Working with distributed systems architecture o Incorporating data processing and workflow management tools into pipeline design
- Using profiling tools, debugging logs, performance metrics, and other data sources to make code- and application-level improvements.
- Developing for continuous integration and automated deployments
- Utilizing a variety of data stores, including data warehouses, RDBMSes, in-memory caches, and searchable document DBs
- Wrangling large-scale data sets
Shujaaz Inc is an equal opportunity employer