Jacaranda Health, a non-profit organization started in 2011 that works in collaboration with The Ministry of Health to help improve quality of care in public hospitals and reduce maternal and newborn deaths in Kenya. We do this by developing innovations that are high-impact, accessible, financially sustainable and can be implemented at national scale. Our goal is to have these solutions adopted as the national standard of care as we move towards achieving universal health coverage (UHC). In Kenya, we work with 20 counties, with solutions deployed across 800+ hospitals and health centers. At Jacaranda Health, we are committed to addressing systemic inequities in health care by centering our work within the public health system, and driving measurable and sustained impact on the way care is accessed and delivered for those who need it most.
The purpose of this role is to build and maintain the operational discipline of the technology team as well as oversee the continuous development, and optimization of Jacaranda Health technology operations. This role will ensure the continuous availability of systems, databases, data pipelines, and security systems to guarantee reliability and optimum support of JH’s operations in line with the team’s and organization’s objectives.
Location: Based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Reports to: Head of Technology
Preferred start date: August 30, 2022
- Maintain Jacaranda Health (JH)’s digital operations in order to drive rapid technological innovation and ensure automation of processes in line with the overall organizational strategy.
- Maintain and update the organization’s data warehouse and data model.
- Enforce adherence to the team’s monthly budgets.
- Manage the technical process and operational integrity of technological services provided by the team.
- Implement work plans to ensure effective implementation of the department’s strategic objectives and ensure technology operations are coordinated and completed within set deadlines and budgets.
- Guide implementation and maintenance of the organization’s technology infrastructure including the analytics infrastructure, systems, databases, dashboards, and visualizations to ensure their respective functionalities are robust, effective, cost-efficient, and stable in order to promote service delivery while working closely with the Data & Analytics and Program teams.
- Execute the transformation of the organization’s technical infrastructure to be modular, robust, and deployable to other countries and contexts according to guidance from the Head of Technology.
- Guide improvement of existing tools and processes in keeping with growing organizational needs and user feedback in order to ensure the organization remains on the cutting edge of technology.
- Define the engineering culture by working with engineers and other stakeholders to set engineering standards and best practices for the organization.
- Execute on the design, deployment, and monitoring of projects eg Blood Tracker to ensure innovations meet the JH’s technology advancement appetite and value for money
- Enforce team SLAs and SOPs for development and issue response
- Act as the interface between the Technology team and the rest of the organization in regards to implementation, updates, and maintenance of all technology-related initiatives
- Guide, develop and motivate the Technology team, including upskilling, training on the best practices in line with current trends, and oversee performance evaluations to promote growth and staff motivation in line with JH’s people agenda
- Oversee performance evaluations to promote growth and motivation of direct reports in line with JH’s people agenda
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience with 3 years at a senior developer level
- 3+ years experience working with Python 3+
- 3 years experience with SQL and document databases
- 3 years experience working with large databases and maintaining/updating a complex data model
- 2 years experience working with Cloud services
- 1 year experience with ML and NLP
- 2 years experience with React
- Analytics skills
- Project management skills
- Knowledge of programming languages
- Experience with data analysis in a complex, fast-paced environment
- Experience using data visualization tools in a complex, fast-paced environment
- Experience with GIS
- Experience managing technical partners and consultants
This position is expected to be a contract of 12 months, renewable.
Interested and qualified applicants should submit their applications by August 12, 2022.