SENIOR SPECIALIST: DATA SCIENCE CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Telkom Strategic Insights has four major teams Data Management, Data Engineering, Data Science and AI. The senior data scientist role is within the AI team. The AI team is focused primarily on unstructured data problems in NLP. Our projects include conversational systems, automatic speech recognition and text analytics. We start with a concept and working with business, drive it all the way into production. The core components of our projects include a) the design sprint, b) preliminary data analysis and visualisation, c) machine learning models, d) experiments and eventually, e) a production system running on Kubernetes. As a senior data scientist in this team, you’ll lead cutting edge projects, work closely with stakeholders across the Telkom Group and other large businesses. Most importantly you’ll also mentor a team of eager young data scientists.
As a Senior Data Scientist your primary role will be to lead and participate in data science projects, solving a variety of use cases across the Telkom group of companies and business units and for its customers. You will be an expert in employing and evolving data science tools and frameworks across on-prem and cloud big data infrastructure to assist the Insights team to unlock measurable value for the group. Together with a team of lead and senior data scientists you will develop our machine learning and deep learning competencies and will train and develop our junior data science resources.
- Engage with stakeholders to lead and support data science project delivery solving business problems or developing solutions
- Using mathematical, statistical and machine learning techniques to solve problems
- Programming solutions using data science programming languages (Python, R etc.)
- Executing end to end exploratory data analysis and product development processes
- Implementing visualization (Tableau, PowerBI), advanced analytics and data science solutions for customers
- Lead and develop a team of junior data scientists
- Strong support to the lead data scientist
- Contribute to our agile way of work and our innovation culture
- Work with the data management team to retrieve data from source
- Guide the most appropriate data science tools and/or approaches for specific projects
- Contribute to our ML/DL codebase through reusable modules
- Developing & peer reviewing code
- Building best practice standards
Statistical foundations; Mathematical foundations; Data science and analytics frameworks; Programming experience (Python, R, Git, Linux); Cloud computing experience (GCP preferable); Big Data (preferably Hadoop, PySpark)
Problem Solving; Coding capability (specifically Python, R, Git, Linux); Cloud computing (GCP preferable); Machine learning; Research & development ability; Communication (written and verbal); Stakeholder management
Problem solver; Takes initiative; Task oriented; Hard working with a "can do" attitude; Innovative thinker; Works well in teams; Works well under pressure
- Post graduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or a related field (NQF level 8) OR a qualified Actuary with data science experience is required.
- A Masters- degree (NQF level 9) will be an advantage.
- 5-7 years relevant experience, of which at least 2 years must have been in a data science environment.
- 2 years of the above experience must have been in a management or supervisory role.
- Experience in ICT will be an advantage.
- Strong statistical & mathematical foundations.
Join our team and love what you do!
Please note this is an Empoyment Equity role in terms of the Employment Equity Act of South Africa. In other words, preference will be given to South African candidates. Women are encouraged to apply.